We have begun reading the novel in class. I began with the lesson (Promethean flipchart) on the direct and indirect characterization that I always use.
After I finish going through the flipchart, which not only includes definitions and examples of both kinds of characterization but also practice selections, we read the prologue and the first chapter (a Michael chapter).
I stop right after reading the prologue and we discuss why the author may have chosen to begin the novel with a prologue. I was really please with one class this time. Several of these students in one of my classes suggested the author used the prologue to establish the mood and atmosphere of the novel and establish a tone. Well, they didn’t use those exact words, but that is what they were implying.
As we began reading the first Michael chapter (1), I had my students begin a character biography notebook for Michael. I called it a notebook because I will have them record the same bio info for several characters in this novel. I helped them to get started. I had them make notes about “things they know about Michael that would describe him to others.” Examples range from his age and his birth date, to stating he is athletic. I also instructed my students to identify each bio trait about him as either direct or indirect. As I said, I started it with them, then left them to continue it. We will do this with other characters as we continue with the novel.
I think the students are catching on to this pretty quickly, but then again, Michael is pretty straight forward in the beginning. The interesting thing will be to see how they do with Amy as we start bio notes for her in the notebook. Joe, too. When I have done this in the past, it takes students a great deal of time to figure Joe out.
I am looking forward to seeing how my students add to Amy’s bio as the book develops. I think it will be interesting to see how they interpret her at first based on indirect characterization from what other say about her, then compare it to what they should infer later in the story as more is revealed about Amy.
We shall see…
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment